As the Baby Boomer generation continues to age, more and more adult children are finding themselves in the role of caregiver for their aging parents. In Elgin, IL, this trend is particularly prevalent, with nearly 20% of the population over the age of 65, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. This means that there are thousands of adult children in Elgin who are caring for their aging parents, and who may be struggling to navigate the complex and often overwhelming world of elder care.
Fortunately, Elgin is home to a wealth of resources that can help adult children in their caregiving journey. From local non-profits that offer counseling and support groups, to government programs that provide respite care and home-delivered meals, there are many options available to those who need them. In this article, we’ll explore 10 of the top local resources for adult children caring for aging parents in Elgin and provide links to their websites so you can learn more.
By taking advantage of these resources, you can ensure that your aging parents receive the care and support they need, while also taking care of yourself and your own well-being.
- Family Service Association of Greater Elgin Area: The Family Service Association provides counseling, support groups, and case management services to individuals and families in the Elgin area. They also offer a Caregiver Support Program to help adult children caring for aging parents.
- Kane County Aging and Disability Resource Center: The Aging and Disability Resource Center offers a variety of services to caregivers, seniors and adults with disabilities, including case management, home delivered meals, and respite care.
- Association for Individual Development: The Association for Individual Development provides a range of services to individuals with disabilities and mental health needs, including respite care and counseling. They also offer support groups and resources for caregivers. Visit their website to learn more: https://www.the-association.org/
- Elderwerks: Elderwerks is a non-profit organization that provides free resources and referrals to seniors and caregivers in the Chicagoland area. They offer a range of services, including care management, support groups, and educational programs.
- Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce: The Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce offers resources and support to local businesses, including those that provide services to seniors and caregivers. They also provide networking opportunities and educational programs.
- Northern Illinois Hospice and Grief Center: Northern Illinois Hospice and Grief Center offers hospice and palliative care services to individuals and families in the Elgin area. They also provide grief support to individuals and families who have experienced a loss.
- PACE: PACE is a program that provides comprehensive care to seniors who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid. They offer services such as medical care, transportation, and social activities.
- LifeLinks: LifeLinks is a non-profit organization that provides case management and support services to individuals with disabilities and their families. They offer resources and support to caregivers, including respite care and counseling.
- Elgin Senior Center: The Elgin Senior Center offers a range of programs and services to seniors in the Elgin area, including social activities, educational programs, and health screenings. They also offer support groups and resources for caregivers.
- Metropolitan Family Services: Metropolitan Family Services provides a variety of services to individuals and families in the Chicagoland area, including case management, counseling, and support groups. They also offer a caregiver support program to help adult children caring for aging parents.
If you’re an adult child caring for aging parents in Elgin, IL, know that you’re not alone. Take advantage of these resources to get the support and assistance you need.
Harmar is here to make lives easier at home and on the go for seniors and their caregivers. Contact us today to learn more about our range of products designed to improve accessibility, mobility, and safety.