Living in Anchorage comes with a host of different opportunities for everyone, from viewing the natural beauty of the entire state of Alaska to exploring the more modern depictions of its historical features. For people who are aging or facing disabilities, remaining mobile and adventurous in such an area can present a definite challenge.
This is where we at Harmar are happy to step in and provide support. Dedicated to helping you and your favorite senior citizen or disabled person navigate life comfortably and safely, our company offers a wide selection of equipment along with the resources and information to properly use them.
Our Mobility Devices
Vehicle Lifts: This is a convenient and helpful option for those who regularly use wheelchairs or scooters both at home and while navigating the city. We offer a range of vehicle lifts that simplifies the process of transporting mobility devices.
Stairlifts: When you have multiple floors in your home, it is very helpful to have a stairlift in certain cases to reduce the risk of falls or injury when climbing stairs. We have a variety of stairlifts for different types of staircases, offering a safe and comfortable addition to your home.
Outdoor Platform Lifts: These lifts are practical and safe for individuals who use wheelchairs or scooters, particularly helpful for navigating raised porches, decks, and other outdoor spaces with varying heights.
Portable Ramps: Our selection of lightweight, durable, and portable ramps make it that much easier for you to navigate both at home and on the streets. Easy to install and coming in a variety of styles to meet your exact needs, these devices offer a convenient solution for everyone.
Places to Visit
Now that you feel confident and ready to hit the streets, here are just a few of the many attractions and activities that are available in Anchorage.
- Alaska Native Heritage Center: https://www.alaskanative.net/. This museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing the culture of Alaska’s native people. It is a great place to learn about culture and history through varying exhibits and a theater that depicts life in the day of an Alaskan native. The center is wheelchair-friendly and also has audio descriptions for the exhibits.
- Chugach State Park: https://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits/chugach/chugachindex.htm. A beautiful place to enjoy the outdoors, the park has over 40 miles of hiking trails and offers stunning views of the Chugach Mountains. For more mobile and adventurous individuals, fishing, camping, and kayaking opportunities are available. Otherwise, the park offers a fully accessible visitor center and particular campgrounds, cabins, picnic sites, hiking trails, and fishing areas that are all friendly to mobility devices.
- Alaska Zoo: https://www.alaskazoo.org/. This zoo was founded in 1969 and has been growing steadily over the years. It has 20 acres of gravel trails that are maintained year-round and the office provides all-terrain wheelchairs for rent when requested in advance of a visit.
- Anchorage Museum: https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/. The museum has a variety of exhibits on Alaska’s history, culture, and natural land, offering fully accessible areas as well as audio descriptions at the displays. In addition, the museum provides programs, services, and resources to assist every guest during their visit and welcomes contact ahead of time to handle any special requests.
- Anchorage Symphony Orchestra: https://www.anchoragesymphony.org/. This venue welcomes everyone who enjoys great music to come and enjoy a variety of classical and contemporary pieces. For those who require mobility or sensory assistance, the orchestra offers a variety of special performances and seatings to fit every guest’s needs.
- Alaska Center for the Performing Arts: https://alaskapac.org/. The center is home to a variety of performing arts, including dance, live music, theater, and youth programs. The building is designed to welcome every guest, including those who require mobility, visual, hearing, or other kinds of support, and staff are happy to help whenever assistance is needed.
Independent Life in Anchorage
At Harmar, our mission is to improve the lives of individuals who face mobility challenges by providing innovative and reliable products that promote independence and accessibility. When using our vehicle lifts, stairlifts, platform lifts, and ramps, you can confidently navigate your beautiful city and enjoy everything that it has to offer. Contact your local dealer today to learn more about our company and the solutions that we provide. We look forward to your call!